On Dec. 6, 2015, Herold Mennonite Church celebrated the 100th anniversary of the church sanctuary with songs of praise and a message entitled “What Do These Stones Mean?” by former pastor Eugene Thieszen. After a time of fellowship over a carry-in dinner, the afternoon service focused on the history of the church with skits, pictures, and stories. The sanctuary was dedicated on Dec. 5, 1915. On that day, there were 3 services with numerous speakers. If these walls could talk, they would tell of over 5,000 Sunday services, revival meetings held, missionaries sent out, lives changed.
The history included the adding of a basement, the education wing, and then the family center. A time-line of the history of pastors, missionaries, and important events was put up in the family center by Jane Janzen.
–by Marilyn Harms